Skip to main content

"Letters From War"

  "Letters From War"

Mark Schultz


She walked to the mailbox

On that bright summer's day

Found a letter from her son

In a was far away

He spoke of the weather

And good friends that he'd made

Said "I've been thinking about dad and the life he had

That's why I'm here today"

And at the end said "You are what I'm fighting for"

It was the first of his letters from war


She started writing "You are good,

And You're brave, what a father that you'll be someday

Make it home, make it safe"

She wrote every night as she prayed


Late in December

A day she'll not forget

Her tears stained the paper

With every word she read

It said, "I was up on a hill

I was out there alone

When the shots all rang out

And bombs were exploding

And that's when I saw him

He came back for me

And though he was captured

A man set me free

And that man was your son

He asked me to write you

I told him 'I would,' oh I swore"

It was the last of the last of the latters from war

And she prayed the was living

Kept on believing 

And wrote every night just to say


Then two years later

Autumn leaves all around

A car pulled in the drive way

And she fell on the ground

And out stepped a captain

Where her boy used to stand

He said "Mom, I'm following orders

From all of your letters 

And I've come home again"

He ran in to hold her

And dropped all his bags on the floor

Holding all her letters from war


Bring him home

Bring him home

Bring him home


Buy On
 or 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Christmas Offering"

                                                     "Christmas Offering"                                                       Casting Crowns 

"Help Me Find It"

                                                                "Help Me Find It"                                                                 Sidewalk Prophets

"Sinking"

  "Sinking"    Jars Of Clay